As a whole, you may be eligible for a naturalization under Section 319(a) for the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if your
- Have already been a resident that is permanentGreen Card owner) for at the very least 36 months
- Have now been located in marital union aided by the exact same U.S. citizen spouse during such time
- Meet all other eligibility demands under this part
In a few situations, partners of U.S. residents used abroad may be eligible for naturalization aside from their time as permanent residents. These partners may qualify under area 319(b) for the INA.
For information associated with spouses of armed forces people, see our people in the Military and their own families web web web page. Additionally for information regarding being a resident that is permanent petitioning for family relations, please check out our Green Card or Family webpages.
General Eligibility Demands
To qualify for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) of this INA, an applicant must:
- Be 18 or older
- Be described as a permanent resident (Green Card holder) for at the very least 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Have already been surviving in marital union aided ukrainian mail order brides by the U.S. citizen partner, that has been a U.S. resident during most of such duration, through the three years instantly preceding the date of filing the applying or over until assessment in the application
- Have lived in the state, or USCIS region with jurisdiction within the place that is applicant’s of, for at the very least a couple of months before the date of filing the application form
- Have actually constant residence in america as a lawful resident that is permanent at minimum 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing the applying
- Live constantly inside the usa from the date of application for naturalization through to the time of naturalization
- Be physically present in the usa for at the least eighteen months from the 3 years instantly preceding the date of filing the applying
- Have the ability to read, compose, and talk English while having knowledge and a knowledge of U.S. history and federal government (also referred to as civics)
- Be an individual of great ethical character, connected to the maxims regarding the Constitution for the united states of america, and well disposed to your good order and joy for the usa during all appropriate durations beneath the legislation
Spouses of U.S. People Employed Abroad
Generally speaking, the partner of a U.S. resident that is used by the U.S. government, such as the armed forces, or any other qualifying manager, whose partner is planned become stationed abroad this kind of work for at the least one year during the time of filing, could be entitled to naturalization under Section 319(b) for the INA.
As a whole, a partner of the U.S. citizen employed abroad must certanly be contained in the usa pursuant to a legal admission for permanent residence during the time of assessment from the naturalization application and also at enough time of naturalization, and meet of all the needs mentioned above except that:
- No certain duration as a permanent resident (Green Card owner) is needed (however the partner should be a resident that is permanent
- No particular amount of constant residence or presence that is physical the usa is necessary
- No certain amount of marital union is necessary; nonetheless, the partners must certanly be in a legitimate wedding at enough time of filing before the period of naturalization.
Note: you need to additionally establish which you will depart abroad soon after naturalization and therefore you would like to live in the usa straight away upon the termination of the spouse’s work abroad.